Search This Blog

Sunday, October 10, 2010

iFocus and ManicTime revisited

A while back, I downloaded two programs to help me work. Both have different functions and I wanted to see what worked best for me.

iFocus
With iFocus you can block different websites and programs based on the name in the title bar of the window. Downside is that this program needs to be downloaded every time you start your computer. It's a bit invasive and I would prefer a normal executable. So I tweaked it a bit so it won't download unless I want it to, just to be on the save side.
So how does it work? 
It tracks all programs (executables) and lists them as a total usage per day. It watches what the titlebar of all the programs say and blocks it according to some rules you set.
It works well, either notifying you or blocking the screen all together if you spend too much time on the build-in lists or your own items you've put in.
Can I do without it?
Sure. But if you start spending a lot of time on Facebook or even worse, Mafia Wars. It's sure is handy to have to make sure you stay focussed on what you have to do. It even tells you to take a break, so now and then.
Conclusion
Overall it's a good program. I removed it once as it wasn't really what I was looking for in tracking. But realising that I spend time on other things besides work it came back. It's a small program, doesn't eat a lot of resources at all and does what it says it does.
Download it from: http://www.ifocusonwork.com

ManicTime Tracker
Now here's a nifty program to keep track of what you've done. It's a must have for all freelancers. It keeps track of all programs and websites you've visited and how long you've spent your time on it. It does this with a few different graphs and timebars.
If you need to bill clients based on time, or wonder what the heck you where doing today, this is a must have program.
So how does it work?
ManicTime shows a timeline for the day, giving different colours to each application and document you've used. Different websites are under documents as well. Giving the opportunity to track the time usage for each individual website or program.
Can I do without it?
I could, of course. But if I want to know how long I've worked on a project, this is the program to use.
Conclusion
ManicTime just sits in my notifications and runs. It's there when I need to keep track of what I've done and just works. It does take a bit of memory but it's a program I don't want to miss out on.
Download it from: http://www.manictime.com

No comments:

Post a Comment