Search This Blog

Tuesday, August 24, 2010

One month


Just over one month in the DR. It seems like a lot longer. Time does move at a slower pace and I feel that sometimes I can do a lot more than I used to in Dublin.
The negative things here are only minor. I still have to build up my network, meet new people and having some fun. For me the fun can only start when I get some money in and at the moment that's not yet the case.

My parents saw a tv show about a Dutch couple that tried to set up a business in DR. They failed after three months. Main reason: they didn't sold their house in NL, had to lend money to buy the business they wanted in DR and one of their parents got sick. I can't compare them with me at all. They had a full family with one kid, spend loads of time with their parents and got homesick.
I've been living abroad for a lot longer, and all I need are some nice friends around me. I have them already and making new ones almost every day.
Would I have recommended that couple to ever start here? No way. Could I do better and survive here while earning enough to make a living? Still think so.
I've got one project finished, but still needs a lot of work. Unfortunately that work doesn't depend on me and it's moving at a slower pace than I wish. The main project is kicking off. Just launched the domain name, US phone number, set up a facebook page and have enough content to get started. It's going to be different than what I had in mind, but my friend left me enough possibilities to keep doing my own thing as well.


So far I learned to ride a motorbike (oh yeah!!!) trying to learn not to get ripped off and got slightly adjusted to the heat. I love the country side here and of course the beach. Still haven't hit the beach as much as I did last time I was here, but it will come.
Do I regret the step I've made? No. Not at all. There are always plenty of opportunities going around to keep living.

Only thing right now that I miss is a steady income, but I love working for myself, making my own hours and be absolutely free in what I do and how to do it. I know it's not easy for foreigners to build a life here, making Dominican friends and be fully integrated. It's possible, but it takes time.
Same as in Dublin where there was a lively ex-pat community that sticked together.
The biggest difference here is, that the people here that do stick around have a far better understanding on how to live life to the fullest. I am not at that point yet. Rather watch from the sidelines than dive right in. Time will tell what will happen. Right now my perspectives of how life works in the Dominican republic is changing, but not for the worse. My senses always served me right and the little mistakes I made will only teach me for the better. So far this has been one of the best decisions in my life and I haven't regret it for a single moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment